Wednesday, March 12, 2014

If You Don't Love Yourself No-one Else Will

)
I grew up listening to UNPRETTY by TLC. It was like a national anthem to me. It was a song that got me up when I was feeling some type of way. UNPRETTY is a song about how girls let people tell them who they should be and what they should not be. It's also a song that inspire girls to be whatever they want to be and not let anybody define them.

I feel like there is always a war going on when it comes to an ideal girl or woman. Society puts out what an ideal woman should look like or how they should act. In turn, we women we adhere to these so called perfect characteristics without looking at who we want to be. Before they used to be a war between curvy vs skinny. Society told us that skinny was the way to go and women strived to be skinny. We hated our curves and we started going on diets to the point of being anorexic because we were not skinny enough, hence we weren't pretty. In the video we see a girl throwing up because she wants to look like a model. We hate the way we look because somebody else wants us to look a certain way. Some girls have had relationships where they were given ultimatum to either lose weight or break up.  And some were told that if they had bigger boobs they would be a perfect woman. As a woman at one point we go through insecurities thinking no-one else Will love us if we don't do what the person we are dating is suggesting, so we go ahead and do it even though it's not what we want. Do you think if you loved  yourself as a whole, and the way you look, you let someone change the way you look or you? 

Recently there has been a war between dark skinned vs light skinned. You see a lot of women wanting to be light skinned because if you are light that means you are beautiful. You hear all these young girls on television saying how they feel ugly because they are dark.  You see people bleaching their skins because they want to be  beautiful. At the same  time, you hear men saying they do not date dark skinned girls they prefer light skinned girls. I have seen a lot of documentaries on this war and it breaks my heart every time I hear this. Dark skinned women are also beautiful my friends. Have you seen how their skin is so smooth and chocolatey (I don't know if that is a word lol)? Why hate that nice dark-skin?To begin with, we are all made different for a reason. We are all beautiful in different ways.  Just imagine if we were all the same in this whole universe. How boring would that be? Our differences make this world an interesting and fun place to live in.  We need to come to terms with our beauty, we need to accept who we are and love ourselves.

I have hard my insecurities too, that much I cannot lie. The past few months I have put on some weight and it made me feel insecure. I have had my family and friends tell me how the new weight suits me and how the curves look good on me. I thought it was just a way of them making me feel better. One day I looked myself in the mirror and I fell in-love all over again with  the woman who was in the mirror. I have that love for myself now and it shows to the whole world. I have realized that If I cannot or don't love myself no-one else will fulfill that hole regardless of how much they love me because that is my battle to fight. Ladies let us accept who we are let us not let society give us these wars to fight. Mostly, do not let any man that you date tell you how you should look or how you should dress. What makes you think he will stay with you after he has made you change the real you? Do you think he will still be satisfied with the changes? We all need to be with someone who loves our perfections and imperfections. We are all special and we are different for reason. Dark skinned, Light skinned, curvy, skinny, natural, weave, white, black, we are all beautiful and lets rock it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment