Wednesday, September 4, 2013

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO LET GO

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO LET GO



I went to see Parachute two weeks ago with my cousin. I must confess that I did not know who they were when my cousin suggested we see them in concert. When I was there, I loved their music and it spoke to me. When I was writing this blog, I did not know what song to use and my cousin suggested HURRICANE by PARACHUTE. The issue of LETTING GO has been bugging me for about a week or so now. HURRICANE talks about how a person is trying to forget and let go of his/her ex but it is just hard to let go because they keep coming in his/her dreams and the things the person is doing. I feel like Parachute is singing to my heart or what I had in mind considering I posted the song after the fact.  From experience, I have always had a hard time knowing when it's the right time to let go after a break up. However, when it comes to giving my friends advice, I jump on the bandwagon that "it's time for you to let go and move on with your life." I guess it's easier for me to know the best time for my friends to let go but it's not easy for me to know the best time for my own situation. I have come to an understanding that I am wrong to tell my friends to "LET GO". 

Relationships are different. A relationship I had with an ex-boyfriend is different from a relationship my friend had with her ex-boyfriend. Keeping that in mind, each relationship you had with each person is different. You cannot have the same type of relationship with all the guys or girls you have dated. I am pretty sure if it was like that some of us would have stopped dating or become nuns by now because some relationships aren't meant to be repeated. You are close to some partners and some partners not so much. You called some of your boyfriends or girlfriends your best-friends while some of them were not your best-friends. Therefore, depending on what kind of relationships you had with your exes, you cannot put a timeframe to when you can LET GO and move on. There are some days you just want to talk to that person because they have been there for you and they know you better than anybody else. You cannot wake up one day and be like "SOMEBODY ELSE KNOWS ME BETTER THAN YOU DO, SO I AM LETTING GO." I mean maybe for some people it can work like that, in that the person who knew you best doesn't know you any more but to somebody else it's different. If you are finding it hard to LET GO of your ex, it is okay, you do not have a psychological disorder.

I am not saying that you should never LET GO. What I am trying to say is that there is no such thing as the best time to LET GO. Each relationship has its course. Therefore letting go has its course too. If you just jump into a relationship a month after breaking up with your boyfriend of two years and your next relationship doesn't work out, maybe it's because you are still stuck in your past and the course of your letting go was not up yet. Give yourself time to let go. It's like grieving; it has its stages in order for you to grieve in a healthy manner and you need to adequately get through all the stages. As a result, go through all the stages of letting go and take heed that your stages of letting go are not the same as your friends' stages of letting go. Your stage might involve you cutting him off and pretending that he doesn't exist in this world while your friend might be friendly with his or her ex. Therefore, take the time that you need to LET GO but do not be stuck on your ex; you have your life to live while he is living his. Take as much time as you need and let the past be the past. Dust yourself off and when you are done, rejoin the rest of the world!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment